Forever in my Heart, Brandy.

So, I just wanted to talk about Brandy, the horse that I learnt to ride on, it’s about time I did a dedication post for him. Just one thing before I really start the post:

Thanks for letting me do a post like your’s about the same horse, Paris!

Well, I love this horse more than my own. If I had a choice to give up riding for his life, I would. No thinking about it, I love this horse more than anything.

In 2012, he got colic. Colic is like a stomach ache that some horses get, but this type of ‘stomach ache’ kills horses. A horse would be VERY lucky to fully recover from it. And this amazing horse did, because he’s strong, in and out.

When I found out, I was down at the stables, grooming my own (well, family) horse. As soon as I was told, I went out to his paddock, cut through the fence and stayed with him. My other friends, and people that love him came out too, but I stayed out there for about 1-2-3 hours. We all knew he was going to die, he only kept getting worse. We tried to get him up, because he was on the ground for too long, but all he did was run back, then fall back, he didn’t have enough strength to hold himself up.

We couldn’t put him through this pain any longer, the owner of the stable called the vet, and asked to put him down. We were all devastated. But then the vet couldn’t come, because she was held up with another horse.

We gave him the night, and a miracle happened. He stood up! That ment he getting more strength! Later in the day, he could take a couple steps! Talk about miracles! Clare (the owner) called off the vet, and he kept improving!

Now he is kept in the paddock, wondering around. He can’t be ridden anymore, but who cares, he survived!

I made a photopeach about him, but I couldn’t download it to my blog, so watch it….

Here!

Please leave a comment if know/love my Brandy-Boo, Brandy-Bum, Brandy-Boy!

Have you ever lost something this special?

What’s the saddest/most tragic thing that has ever happened to you?

Did you like my photopeach? (If it worked on the link?)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Forever in my Heart, Brandy.

1. Ava says:

Hey Bronte,

What a lovely blog post about a lovely horse. Brandy was the first horse I cantered on at Wallington Park. I was really scared to canter on another horse or pony but I could trust him. I loved Brandy to bits just like you. He was so gentle. My first Saturday School lesson was on Brandy and he was the first horse I ever rode on in a group. I built all my confidence back up on that horse when I started and lost while falling off. I hated moving onto a cheeky naughty Shetland Pony, Kaluha because I had moved off Brandy Boy. When I fell off Kaluha it was one of the greatest things because I got to move back onto Brandy! That’s how I built my confidence right back up. Anyway I should move onto the questions now.

Yes, I have lost something as special as Brandy. My aunties old horse. We were great friends and he was the first horse I rode all by my self.

Yes! The photopeach was awesome. The photos of you and Brandy are great.

Got to Gallop on Beau,
    Ava

• Bronte says:

Dear Ava,
      thanks for a lovely comment as usual! :)
      I remember my very first lesson on him. I got up to trotting then around by myself (well, without anyone running along with me, but still on the lunge) and it ended. On my 3rd-4th lesson I cantered! Then I did Saturday school. I terrified to go over some poles! I had to lead over them and I still cried! :lol: lol

I remember seeing Kaluha, although she was never ever in a group with me. I don’t know why.

I don’t think many people really liked Kaluha, my friend (Iesha) rode Kaluha and said she doesn’t want to ride her again, and I remember people saying that they didn’t like her that much.

That’s sad about your Auntie’s horse. :(
      The very first horse that I sat on was a Palomino 15.3hh mare, her name is Beat Beat, then the next horse was a 16hh bay/brown mare, and her name is Sophie.

The horses can’t feed themselves!
      -Bronte

• Ava says:

Hi Bronte,

Thanks for your lovely reply as usual too! Actually forget about that thanks for your ponytastic reply!

Don’t worry when you just start riding you don’t have much confidence at all especially jumping. I have gained all of my confidence up on Brandy but that was ages ago. Especially jumping now that can be pretty scary when your just learning. Don’t worry the same thing happens to everyone. On horseback your most likely to cry at least one time. That has happened to me before on Kaluha. I would refuse to go over a big log on the cross country course. I started crying which wasn’t the greatest Saturday school. I am much more confident with my riding now. I just love to canter over the jumps in the cross country course. It’s the best feeling. I now ride Beau which isn’t the best jumper. He always trips and one time he actually fell on to his two front knees with me still on him. It was quite scary. To go over a big jump on Beau it has to be in a canter not a trot. Its hard to jump solids on him. Have you ridden Beau before?

Everybody was scared of Kaluha because she was just a naughty, mean, pig rooting and bucking pony. She was definitely not my favourite pony. I was even scared of her. She didn’t like other horses but she would not kick though only bite.

Yeah, My aunties horse was called Branigan. He was a 15hh grey. I’m not quite sure what breed he is. Those horses sound cute.

Do you know that really naughty black pony Storm. I ride him sometimes and he is so fun. Billy said we were going over trotting poles for a warm up before jumping. Storm actually jumped the trotting poles in a canter! It was really funny even Billy was laughing. :lol:

Got to gallop on Beau,
        Ava

• Bronte says:

Dear Ava,
          no, I’ve never ridden Beau before, I had my own horses before he arrived, so there was no reason of me riding any schoolies.
          Yes, I know Storm! He’s so adorable, but when he first came, Natalia rode him (because he was out of work for some time) and he was bucking and pigrooting, and his trot was so small and Natalia looked so funny riding him! But she soon got used to it, although we all laughed most of the time! :lol:

Small ponies do that sometimes, canter and jump over trotting poles. It’s so cute!!

The horses can’t feed themselves!
          -Bronte

• Ava says:

Hi Bronte,

I think you would love to ride Beau even though he can be very naughty and annoying. Sometimes he will refuse to go over jumps or just jump when you don’t want him to. That’s how I fell off him he was going towards this really big jump and he would refuse to turn so it was quite quick then THUD! Yeah your right there kinda is no point of you riding a schoolie or him before they arrive when you have your own horses.

Storm is adorable I agree. If you don’t know that Natalya is my cousin but I think I’ve told you before. I saw her ride Storm. There is a photo of a girl/helper riding him in the show jumping arena and he is doing a massive buck! It’s funny.

Yeah it’s funny when they do jump trotting poles.

Got to gallop,
            Ava

• Bronte says:

Dear Ava,

I don’t think that you ever told me that Natalya is your cousin, but I definitely know that she’s your cousin. Her mum is really nice, and you both really look alike (to me.)

I’m pretty sure that I would like to ride Beau. He looks like he’s comfortable to ride.
            When I start riding again, I think I’ll ride Sabir, Will (I think) or Rocco when I start riding again. I would ride Beau, but I heard he’s a little strong (is he?)
            And I can’t really ride a strong horse just coming off a broken arm, it’ll still be weak.
            Also I can’t ride Nim if he’s sold, of course. :) Petrified of riding Merry-legs, and Aadessa is just to big and green.

Your friend,
            Bronte :mrgreen:

2. Millie says:

Hi Bronte,

What a great but sad ( :( ) post.

I rode Brandy a lot too, I had a few lessons on Opal and then I rode Brandy (when I started at Wallington) and I miss him too! My friend, Ashley, was on camp when he got colic!

I have lost three horses I adore. Luna, Kahlua and Sam. I miss them all :( :( :( It definitely isn’t as sad as what happended with Brandy – at least Sam, Luna and Kahlua wheren’t going to be put down!

I replied to your comment on my goodbye Sam post, by the way.

Sorry I have to go!

Millie ♥

• Bronte says:

Dear Ava,
      I remember when Luna first came (along with Sunshine and Lollipop.) I was doing the Saturday school and we got to brush Luna (I think…), and she was a rescue pony too, so it was really scary because she was so timid.

Sorry for such a short comment, have to go!
      -Brnte

• Ava says:

Hi Bronte,

I got to meet Luna a few times but sadly never got to ride her.

Yeah Sunshine and Luna are both rescue ponies and they Linzi’s. Lollipop was so cute. Its annoying how Luna and Lollipop are gone and now Sunshine’s up for sale!

A few Saturday schools ago during theory we were learning about hay! I don’t know why but anyway we saw Sunshine, Brandy and Sassy playing chasey with each other it was so cute. Brandy had a few trips but at least he was running and he was running quite fast too.

That’s okay, I think your comment is a perfect size.

Got to gallop on Beau,
        Ava

• Bronte says:

Dear Ava,

I remember once (4-5 months ago) I was trail riding on Nim with my friend on her pony, and we were going up the lane to Siberia (galloping track), and Brandy was racing up and down the paddock with Sunshine like crazy. Nim started to get really excited because when I started to trot him, he cantered up the lane when Brandy started to canter, and stopped (with me almost falling over his head) and tried to follow Brandy back down the other side of the paddock. I was so scared that I might fall off because he felt so unpredictable, but Brandy was having a great time….

Brandy really liked the rescue ponies (from what I’d seen.)

Well, the horses can’t feed themselves!
          -Bronte

3. Ava says:

Hi Bronte,

Thanks for the reply.

My aunty Helen or what I like to call her, Aunty Helly is really nice. My mum says that Natalya and I look the same. I also think so a bit too.

Yes you would like to ride Beau. He may look comfortable but his canter is so bumby. You can hardly sit to it. After when you get back to riding and your arm is much but you should try him out. Yes you’re right he is quite strong.

Yeah, Brandy loves the rescue ponies. I think Sunshine is Brandy’s best friend.

Are you going to be sad if you sell Nim? Natalya and her mum were boiling their eyes out when they had to sell Prissie. There old horse.

Got to Gallop on Beau,
    Ava

• Bronte says:

Dear Ava,

thanks for yet another great comment!
      I guess I’ll be a little sad when we sell Nim. He was only a confidence pony, I was only supposed to have him for about 4-5 months. So when I can ride again, I’ll ride Nim, take him to one last show, then sell him.
      I’ve tried really hard not to get attached to Nim, just so I won’t be left with a broken heart when he’s sold……

Some horses canter look so comfortable when really, it’s IMPOSSIBLE to sit to it.

Well, have to go! (If you didn’t notice, it’s really, REALLY late, 12:15AM) :oops:
      -Bronte :mrgreen:

• Ava says:

Hi Bronte,

It’s not my great comment, it’s your great blog posts!

You would be sad. He sounds like a great confidence pony. I agree, don’t get to attached to him. If you do he will be left with a broken heart like yours. Well if you do go to a show best of luck! Like I may have said I gained up all of my confidence up on Brandy after I had lost it on Kaluha. Now I am up to Teddy’s level. I rode him yesterday! He is so naughty but so much fun! I did a blog post about my Saturday school yesterday. If you wanna check it out here is the link: http://ava.global2.vic.edu.au/2013/08/24/another-day-at-wallington-park/

I know some horses canters do look very comfortable but there not! My cousin rode Chilli yesterday and I thought his canter was really smooth but she said, “It’s so bumby! Bumpier that Beau’s.”

Got to gallop on Beau,
        Ava

• Bronte says:

Dear Ava,

Merry-legs’ canter looks like the best canter in the world. Not. Kidding. But when you’re the one riding, make sure your horse has a long mane, you’ll need it. It throws you out of the saddle (not as in buck) but it’s so big and long. When a horse is told to canter, the canter is just, different. When you’re doing a jumping course, and the horse decides to canter by itself, it just feels better.

Now I just want Nim to be sold just to have it over and done with. Having your own pony, and not being able to ride it, and see it only once a week, it’s pretty painful.

Sorry, I have to go!
          I’ll look at your post tomorrow, I have to finish off homework, and get ready for bed.
          -Bronte :mrgreen:

• Ava says:

Hi Bronte,

Thanks for the reply! I don’t mind when you look at my blog post.

I know! I have realised that. I was riding Bridget in the show jumping arena once well actually heaps of times but anyway, I finally got her into a canter so we could go over a big jump. I don’t think she would be able to go over it into a trot but anyway when I got her into a canter it was really bumby! Then to cool off our horses or ponies Billy asked us to have a canter. I didn’t really have to tell Bridget to canter she basically just knew so she did it and it was actually pretty smooth. Smoother than when I made her do it. I don’t like Bridget because she is so slow. But once you get her going she isn’t to bad at all.

It sounds quite painful to only see your pony and ride it once a week. It sounds like you really love Nim.

Got to Gallop,
            Ava

• Bronte says:

Dear Ava,

I did get to ride Nim almost every night when he was at Wallington, but yeah. I just decide to not see him most times because I’ll get really sad. :(

I remember when I rode Bridget. It wasn’t a Saturday school, but Erin said that my sister, Amelia (my friend, not the Amelia in Ms Jordan’s grade) and I could ride Bridget. The day was horrible. First, down at the paddock, I got electrocuted by the electric wire, and it got caught around my waist, still electrocuting me, and then Lucas (Erin’s son,) got zapped by it too! Then in the stable, Bridget stepped, well stomped, on Lucas’ foot, and bit Amelia REALLY hard on her back. So hard that the mark went purple. But we still all rode! I tried to canter Bridget, but couldn’t. She was extra stubborn that day.

Sorry I haven’t any comments on your blog, I’m not extra interested in blogging anymore. I still like it, but I’ve lost some interest.

-Bronte :mrgreen:

4. Ava says:

Hi Bronte,

Thanks for the reply!

My way to get Bridget into a canter is kick, squeeze, kick, squeeze, kick, squeeze, kick, squeeze, kick, squeeze, kick, squeeze, kick, squeeze. But if she doesn’t listen to that whip squeeze and squeeze. My tip also is to not whip to hard other wise a bucking fit for Bridget and a hopefully not but most likely a landing on the ground for you (Not actually you but a person who is riding her.)

I was doing a Saturday school at Wallington Park once and as soon that saddle landed on Bridget’s back a really bad bite on the back for me! It really hurt and was bleeding. It also left a scar!

It’s fine if you haven’t left much comments on my blog. Just letting you know there is a horsey post on at the moment.

Got to Gallop,
    Ava

5. Jaz says:

Hey Bronte,

I used to go to pony club, and I always rode Brandy. The first time I rode him I just knew he is a great horse. I was very sad when I heard the news that Brandy wasn’t very well :(. I’m so glad to hear that he’s better!!

My horse (pony) Milo wasn’t very well with the sickness – colic, he was breathing heavily and olling around on the ground. We quickly called the vet but it was too late, she had to put him down… I am still very very sad about my little boy Milo, he was a great horse to ride and was very freiendly, he was about 20 years of age.

:( :( :(

At pony club I also rmember..

OPAL: she has one eye

and that’s about all I remember, From Jaz

• Bronte says:

Hey Jaz!
      I didn’t know that you used to ride!!
      I LOVED Brandy, he was my only favourite horse, he can’t be ridden anymore from colic, but he’s still alive! :)
      I know Opal, her eye got removed because of an infection, she’s retired now though…… ;)

Sorry about Milo, it’s always sad when a horse dies/gets put down. :cry:

What pony club did you go to?
      Good to chat! Sorry it took me like, a month to reply, I haven’t been on my blog for a LLOONNGG time…

-Bronte :mrgreen: