Can You Finish the Ending?

Halo,  apa kabar? (that means hello, how are you?)

So, in class we were reading a picture story book called “Woolves in the Sitee.” It was a good book to infer with. I found it very dark and mysterious. What I thought that would be a good idea was to use the same theme as the book, but turn it into something with horses. Sorry if you guys are getting tired of the horses, horses. horses, but I can’t help it!

So I’m going to write about a paragraph or two, then in a comment, you can finish it off if you want. Just to warn you, there might be a lot of inferencing in the text. Inferencing means know something when it doesn’t exactly say it.  e.g Sarah put on her boots and coat. You can infer that it is wet or raining.

I had to get away. I was pushed too far in this lesson, and in my life, I wanted to keep Stormy, my beautiful black horse. I galloped towards the forest, tears streaming down my face; I had to get away from this terrible place. As I entered the forest, I waited to hear hoofbeats behind me, just in case my friends chased after me. Nothing. Whew! Slowly, I pulled Stormy up. I’m never going to leave you, and I hope you’re never going to leave me. I whispered to my dark gelding

Soundlessly, I walked through the dark forest. I hadn’t noticed before that there were shadows. Shadows covered the winding path, they creeped up the silent trees, and through the river. They won’t leave me alone, they’re everywhere. What have I done? Galloped through the deep dark forest, or ruined my life forever? Getting away was all I could think of right now, away from evil, closer to good. No way could I go back, Stormy would get sold in a flash, I couldn’t go back. Even if I wanted to, these shadows stopped me, they crowded me, and blocked my way, yet they were not solid, they would not move….

Clearing

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34548147@N00/121188889

Can you finish it off? If I get multiple people to finish it off, I will post my favourite, but I know whatever you write it will be good. :)

What Language  is “Halo, apa kabar” in?

What can you infer from my text/story?

Can you  Finish off my Story?

Was my story dark?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Can You Finish the Ending?

1. Rosey says:

Hi!
    My name is Rosey (well, my screen name is, lol). I love your blog! I just made a fashion/beauty blog named Rosey Bumblebee. I saw your blog on the EduBlog Nominees, and thought this was an awesome blog! I have a pony of my own, her name is Annabelle. I thought it would be cool to be “Blogging Buddies” with you. I love all of the things that you post, and you seem very nice! I’m sorry about the loss of the poor horse in one of your earlier posts =( Well, I hope we will get to talk again soon!
    -Rosey

My Blog:
    http://roseybumblebee.edublogs.org/

• Bronte says:

Dear Rosey,
      thanks for a lovely comment! :)
      Just so you know, Brandy didn’t Actually die, he’s alive right now and better than ever! That’s cool that you have your own pony, what breed is she?

I’m not one of those people who really like fashion. Well, only if it’s Jodhpurs or saddle cloths/rugs.

Sure, we can be blogging buddies!

Well, got to go!!!!
      -Bronte :mrgreen: :evil:

2. Jordi says:

Hello Bronte,

I sure would love to finish off the ending.

You wrote for the start:
    I had to get away. I was pushed too far in this lesson, and in my life, I wanted to keep Stormy, my beautiful black horse. I galloped towards the forest, tears streaming down my face; I had to get away from this terrible place. As I entered the forest, I waited to hear hoofbeats behind me, just in case my friends chased after me. Nothing. Whew! Slowly, I pulled Stormy up. I’m never going to leave you, and I hope you’re never going to leave me. I whispered to my dark gelding

Soundlessly, I walked through the dark forest. I hadn’t noticed before that there were shadows. Shadows covered the winding path, they creeped up the silent trees, and through the river. They won’t leave me alone, they’re everywhere. What have I done? Galloped through the deep dark forest, or ruined my life forever? Getting away was all I could think of right now, away from evil, closer to good. No way could I go back, Stormy would get sold in a flash, I couldn’t go back. Even if I wanted to, these shadows stopped me, they crowded me, and blocked my way, yet they were not solid, they would not move….

My Ending for the story:
    I was scared. All around me shadows of darkness. I was crying for help. Nobody came to save me. I was still surrounded by creepy shadows calling my name from every direction. I was calling my name then another and it wouldn’t stop calling my name… I was crying even more. I wouldn’t stop, because I couldn’t. “Mum. Come quick.” No
    sign of her mum. “Dad, come quickly”… No dad either. She soon found out a fairy was talking to her, “follow me little one. I’ll take you home from now on…”.

She followed her home and soon she was with her parents again. “Mumma Pappa. I love you!”

The end…

Sorry have to go..
    -Jordi

3. Ross Mannell says:

Hello Bronte,

What Language is “Halo, apa kabar” in?

In answer to your question, “Halo, apa kabar”…
    Aku baik-baik. (I’m fine.)
    No, I don’t speak this language but I guessed which it was. It does belong to one of Australia’s nearest neighbours. :)

What can you infer from my text/story?
    When authors leave gaps for our imaginations to fill, we make inferences. Let me see about your story…

1. While you don’t say, “being pushed too far in this lesson” suggests you were most likely at a pony club.
    2. As no one followed you, you managed to escape unseen although a darker reason might be no one cared you had gone.
    3. You have a love for horses, especially Stormy and are afraid of losing him if he is sold.
    4. Your fears of losing Stormy and being alone with him in a dark forest are causing you to imagine something evil is lurking around, perhaps following you.

<strongWas my story dark?

Your story is dark and does have the potential to be very dark. Escape from danger or fears, alone with Stormy in the dark forest and the enveloping darkness sets the scene yet the continued story would decide whether there is a happy ending or not.

Here are some possible plots…

1. Sensing your fears, Stormy finds his way out of the forest. Unbeknown to you, people had been searching for you. They reassure you Stormy won’t be sold.
    2. You and Stormy find an old cabin in the forest. It’s owned by a kindly old lady you know who allows you to stay. While you sleep, she leaves to let your parents know where you are.
    3. Startled, Stormy throws you. You wake up alone. It’s now night. You’re lost. What will happen?
    4. You hear noises in the shadows. You sense Stormy is also nervous so you ride deeper into the forest. What were the noises and what awaits?

If you would like me to write an ending, which ending would you prefer?

Ross Mannell
    Teacher (retired). N.S.W., Australia

• Bronte says:

Dear Ross,
      thank you so much for leaving a comment on my blog! :)

They were perfect inferences! At the end of your second inference, that’s what happens when I think of my own ending.
      She wasn’t at pony club exactly, but vthat could end up happening.

For the ending, probably (in my opinion) the third one would be best.

I’ve been thrown when I was trail riding by myself.

Sincerley,
      Bronte :evil:

4. Ross Mannell says:

Oops, the formatting fairies were at work. I didn’t close the bold writing after “Was my story dark?”. :)

Ross Mannell

5. Iesha says:

Dear Bronte,

I galloped on finding a way out of this forest. Then hoof beats came behind me. Stormy stopped in his tracks. THUD! I landed on the ground hard. I looked up. There was a dark shadow over me. I screamed. I got up, grabbed Stormy’s reins and ran. But it was too late. The dark shadow got off his dark horse and grabbed me.

“What do you want with me and who are you!” I yelled. He flicked off his hood and said,”Get out of these woods and go home, or I’ll kill the horse!” “But I can’t go home because my pearent’s will sell Stormy!” I said with fear.”Heh!” A voice said.”Get your hands off my daughter!” Said the voice.”Dad!” I said “Are you okay?” Said Dad “yes I’m fine”………..

“Wake up, Honey!” “Huh!” I said. “It’s time for the competition!” said dad…

The languge is Indonesian. I hope my story is dark enough!

From your horsyest friend,
    Iesha :grin: :mrgreen:

• Bronte says:

Dear I esha,

Thanks so much for leaving a comment on my blog!

I haven’t heard from you in a while, besides FaceTiming….

That’s a really good ending! When I said I’d choose the best one, I think them all will come as a tie!

Well have to go!
      -Bronte

6. Ross Mannell says:

Dear Bronte,

I have written a story ending for you based on the third option. I wanted to include a graphic I prepared for you so I prepared an extended comment for you…
    http://rossmannellcomments.edublogs.org/2013/06/11/bronte-asked-visitors-to-her-blog-if-they-could-finish-her-story/

The featured horse isn’t quite a dark gelding as in your story but the horse photo used to create the graphic suited the scene. :)

Perhaps others might now add an ending to your story.

Ross Mannell

• Bronte says:

Dear Ross,
      thank you so much for leaving an extended comment for me on my blog!

I’m thinking about drawing a picture to match the story. My friends say that I’m really good at drawing, so why not?! :)

Sorry it took me a long time to reply to the comment! :( I had a sleep over the night/ay you left it, then at the slepp over I accidently forgot… :oops:

Well, I have to go!,
      -Bronte

• Ross Mannell says:

Dear Bronte,

I am catching up on commenting after a busy time working on DVDs for schools and a small town. :)

Drawing a picture is a great idea. I often ad drawings to short stories I write. Drawings help readers understand the story characters as the author sees them.

I know your school holidays are almost with us so I hope you and your class have a wonderful time. Perhaps you might have time to write more stories. :)

Ross Mannell

• Bronte says:

Dear Ross,
          Sorry I took a long time to reply, Our internet went right down the drain, then it came back and I had another sleepover with my friend Rosie.

I love drawing pictures, you’ll always find me with a pencil and paper! :)

Our holidays start next week on Friday, but all my other friends that go to other schools already started their holidays and get an extra week off :cry: :(

Over the holidays I think I’ll be lucky to get an hour of sleep! :lol:
          I’m going to about three horse comps, and then I’ll have to catch up with some other friends I haven’t seen in a while.
          Also, I have to fit in horse riding, and practise for the horse shows. AND my mum is taking me on a shopping spree for new horse/riding gear! :) :) :) :)
          (Sorry, I’m just weeeeee little bit excited)

Your blogging buddy,
          Bronte :mrgreen: :evil:

• Ross Mannell says:

Dear Bronte,

Students in N.S.W. also start their holidays on Friday so it seems both they have the same holidays as you.

I can see you’re going to be busy. Since I blog around the world, there aren’t many days when I’m not online with students but it may happen this time. The Northern Hemisphere countries are going on summer vacation and N.S.W. and Victoria are taking a winter break. It will allow me to catch up of some other tasks if I have time.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday break and bring home ribbons from the comps. :)

Ross Mannell

7. Millie says:

Hi Bronte,

WOW! I loved your story. It defintely sounded dark, I was intrigued!

Here is my ending to your story:

I felt terrifyed. It was a rainy afternoon, and before long, day turned into night. The wind howled, and the rain bet down against my navy jodhpurs. I shivered. Whether it was from the weather or fear I didn’t know. The eerie shadows enveloped me in a cold, evil hug. I could sense something lurking in the darkness of the forest. I screamed, but nothing came out. There was a rustle of leaves from nearby. Stormy began to dance around nervously on his hind legs. ” Woah boy. It’s OK. Nothing to worry about ” I was trying to convince myself as well as my horse. Then the beast appeared from the dense scrub. I was stunned. It wasn’t a predator, not a dingo or wild dog, but a horse! The horse was pure white, and disappeared almost as quickly as he had appeared. The wild horse had really shaken Stormy up, and as I stared, transfixed, after the white animal, Stormy reared up on his back legs, throwing me violently to the ground. I heard a CRACK as my helmet hit the forest floor and I could taste blood in my mouth. Then it was all black. I woke up an hour later, dazed and confused. I could hear what sounded like a battle between a what sounded like a horse, my horse! I got up and tried to run but I was not strong enough. I felt my legs buckle beneath me and I hit my head hard on the ground. I had already taken my helmet off earlier after I had woken up so my head had no protection. For the second time that night, I was knocked out cold. While I was unconscious, I had a dream. More like a nightmare. There were shadows everywhere, and I was standing on the battle scene of Stormy and a pack of dingos. It was as if my legs were filled with concrete, and I was pinned to the spot. My throat was dry and when I yelled anything, no matter how loud it was, it came out as nothing more than a squeak. I felt helpless as I watched the scene play out before me. Stormy was becoming weak, dingos surrounding him and attacking him from all angles. And all in one terrible moment I realised it wasn’t a dream. It was real. As I tried to move, I could hear the shadows whispering. ” The horse is too weak “. One murmed from behind me. ” Stop! ” I screamed. ” He’ll never make it ” another one added. It was like their words were eating into Stormy. ” Please Stormy, don’t give up!” I shrieked, tears running down my cheeks. Then came the worst sound of all, the petrifyed squeal of a horse. And then, THUD. I watched as Stormy collasped. All of a sudden, that mysterious white horse appeared. As if my magic, the dingos scattered into all different directions of the forset and bounded off. And again, the strange yet beautiful horse was gone in a flash. It was now that I regained the power to walk and speak. ” Oh my gosh, Stormy … ” I started. ” What have I done?! ” I sobbed. Surely Stormy being sold was way better than him almost dying and being in pain! I fell alsleep with my arms wrapped around Stormy’s neck. When I woke up the next morning, the majestic yet ghostly white horse was leaning over me, staring into my eyes. I sat up, and saw Stormy standing nearby. He was okay apart from some pretty deep cuts on his back and legs. As for his tack, one of the stirrup leathers had been ripped off and there were lots of scratches on the saddle seat. But I couldn’t have cared less about my expensive Wintec tack right now. I took Stormys’ tack off to get a closer look at his cuts. I would be calling the vet for sure when I got home. But then I remebered, I couldn’t go home. That was why I’d ran away in the first place. And suddenly an idea sparked in my brain. The white horse … it was as if he was a guardian angel, always watching Stormy and I. I knew I couldn’t hide put here for ever, but maybe Stormy could. I trusted the white horse. At least if Stormy stayed here I could visit him sometimes. I hugged and kissed him and thanked him until the white horse started pawing the ground impatiently. They both galloped off, their hoofbeats drumming against the forest floor. ” I love you! ” I cried out to Stormy. Then they were gone. As I trudged back through the forest towards home, I knew I’d made the right decision. And a year later when I went to visit them ( alone, I still wasn’t sure if the white horse actually existed ) the white horse had a pretty bay foal with her. And grazing contentedly nearby was Stormy. Beloved Stormy. I cried and cried as I wrapped my arms around Stormy’s neck. But this time, it was tears of joy. As I walked home through the forest, feeling elated and happy, the shadows seemed to be wrapping me in a hug. Not an evil, creepy one, but a kind, cosy one. I knew Stormy and the white horse would happily live the rest of their lives in this mysterious forest.

Did you like my story? Was it dark?

Oh, and before I forget, apa kabar is hello in Indonesian. :P

Got 2 Gallop,
    Millie ♥

• Bronte says:

Dear Millie,

thanks for such a great story!

I loved your story! Your story wasn’t one of those really dark stories, but it wasn’t bad AT ALL.

I’m so so sorry that this comment is so short, I’m in a big rush :(

We have to head up to saddle world to go get a bit and bredunne (a type of special bit)

Well, bye!
      -Bronte :mrgreen: :evil:

8. Millie says:

@ Bronte,

It’s OK.

Thankyou! :P

It’s OK again.

OK.

Gosh, I said OK a lot didn’t I?

Millie ♥

9. Karen says:

Hi Bronte! I come to you from the good ole state of Pennsylvania in the USA. I’m wondering how many parts of the world you hear from! I’m a teacher and just learning about blogging. I don’t have a full class of students; I just work with a few at a time on building their reading skills. Blogging has been around for a while, but I’ve never used it! (you can shake your head now). So, I came across your blog and immediately loved it. It gave me so many ideas! Here’s my post where I tell my future followers all about you. http://ksenior08.wordpress.com/2013/06/28/brontes-barn/ Hope you don’t mind! So, here goes…
    1) I have no idea what language that is! We have about 16 different languages spoken at my school, but that one doesn’t ring a bell.
    2) From your story I can infer that you were at a stable/barn and receiving lessons. The instructor was pushing you past your limits (maybe yelling at you and becoming more demanding?). Then you got word that they were probably going to sell your favorite horse so you would no longer be able to ride him. You had such a strong connection with that horse. You decided that the two of you would run away from it all.
    3) Here’s my ending…. Even if I wanted to, these shadows stopped me, they crowded me, and blocked my way, yet they were not solid, they would not move…. They scared me and I began to shiver. It was obvious I couldn’t go back even if I wanted to such I took a deep breath and with Stormy by my side bravely marched deeper into the forest. It was like a magical pull was calling me forward deeper and deeper. Stormy and I were getting tired and thirsty and were so elated when we found a small stream of crystal clear running water. Something whispered to me to follow the stream and it would lead me to the light. We gathered our strength and trudged on. As we broke through the last of the shadows that had been surrounding us the whole way, we came upon a small quaint village on the other side. Little people, that reminded me of the hobbits I once saw in a movie, welcomed us like we were long lost friends. They quickly scrubbed Stormy down and gave him some fresh oats to eat and water to drink. They took me by the hand and led me to the largest outside picnic I had ever seen. I was in heaven, or so I thought. After stuffing myself like a pig on all of the scrumptious goodies, I turned and noticed the sign. It said, “This is your one and only chance… what will it be… go right to go home… go left to your new life. A life without my parents and brother and sister. I would miss my parents desperately. I just couldn’t leave them forever! What was I thinking? Then I had an idea… a brilliant one! “If I decide to go back to where I’m from, would you keep Stormy here with you in this magical land? Could I maybe come visit?”

• Bronte says:

Dear K. Senior,

thank for a great comment! :) :) :) :) :p (sorry! I go overboard with smilies ALL the time)
      Also, I loved your story ending!!!!!!

Now I’m seriously NOT kidding, all of the story endings that I’ve gotten so far are all even, and I’m not just saying (typing) that because it would be rude to have runner ups and everything.

You described the meaning of “Being pushed to far” perfectly!

Sorry, I have to go,
      -Bronte

10. Pingback: I think I did it!! | KSenior Learns About Classroom Technology